Academy Member Inducted 2022
- Practice Commenced: 2017
- Total Mediations (as of Oct 2022): 350
- Total Arbitrations (as of Oct 2022): 1
- LOS ANGELES/ORANGE COUNTY
- SAN DIEGO
- SAN FRANCISCO-OAKLAND
- SAN JOSE-SANTA CLARA
- SAN LUIS OBISPO
- SANTA CRUZ
- SANTA MARIA/SANTA BARBAR
- SANTA ROSA
- My years of experience as a coverage and trial attorney in private practice allow me to quickly understand and simplify the challenges of complex litigation. I know litigation and what it is like to try a case to a jury. I know insurance policies and the insurance industry.
- I have mediated hundreds upon hundreds of litigated matters, as a coverage and trial attorney in private practice and since 2017 as a full-time mediator.
- I have been a law firm managing partner and understand the variety of issues faced by business owners, including employment issues.
- My mediation approach adapts to the needs of each matter. I am a fan of pre-mediation conference calls, factual clarity, practicality and openness to creative solutions.
- I have extensive experience in conducting online mediations - 250+ online sessions since March 2020.
- CIPP/US certified and ready to help resolve your data breach/ransomware subrogation, cyber + "silent cyber", CCPA, and privacy lawsuits.
- Am also available to serve as an arbitrator, chair or umpire for arbitration of insurance and business disputes, including insurance industry and reinsurance disputes.- Use my online calendar to easily check, hold or reserve mediation dates.
Based in Los Angeles, CA, I am an attorney, mediator and arbitrator. I mediate a wide variety of insurance, business, and tort matters at pre-suit, trial and appellate levels, as well as federal ADA accessibility lawsuits re architectural barriers and websites. CIPP/US certified, I also mediate matters involving data breaches, ransomware and cyber losses. I arbitrate insurance and business disputes and am on the AAA Commercial Arbitration and Mediation panels.
Prior to becoming a full-time mediator in 2017, I was a Senior Partner in a Los Angeles based litigation firm, representing corporations, professionals, non-profits, individuals, and insurers in a broad range of matters, at trial, in arbitration and on appeal - mediating hundreds upon hundreds of cases over the years. My legal experience has been diverse and international and I have a deep knowledge of the insurance industry, insurance policies and the various risks they insure against (primary, excess, reinsurance, program, surplus lines, London Market, and international insurers). I also served as firmwide Managing Partner of my former law firm (being intimately involved with decision making re financial, contract, employment and real estate matters), and at times chaired the firm’s Insurance Law, Cyber & Privacy Law, International Law, and Business & Real Estate Transactions practice groups and, ultimately, serving my many clients as counselor and trusted advisor.
I am honored to be a Past President of the FDCC and the Insuralex Global Insurance Lawyers Group (Chambers-Band 1) and to be a Fellow and Founding Regent of the American College of Coverage Counsel. As President of the FDCC, together with Donna Melby, then President of the National ABOTA, we founded the inaugural “National Summit on the Right to Trial by Jury” which was jointly sponsored by FDCC and ABOTA in 2005 and continues today by ABOTA as its 7th Amendment Summit. Active in a number of professional associations, over the course of my career I have served on the Boards of Lawyers for Civil Justice, DRI (Defense Research Institute), the ASCDC (Association of Southern CA Defense Counsel) and Association of Attorney Mediators.
I absolutely love what I do and would be honored to serve as your Mediator or to Arbitrate your dispute!
- ADA Disability
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Entertainment Sector
- Family Businesses
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Legal Malpractice
- Lemon Law
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Media & Communications
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Non-profit Organizations
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Real Estate
- Religious Institutions
- Sexual Harassment
- Title Disputes
- Trusts / Estates
- Unfair Competition
- Wage & Hour/FMLA
- Wrongful Death
- JD, Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (Jessup International Honors Moot Court Team and Board; Internship with United States Attorney’s Office, Los Angeles)
- BBA - Finance, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles
- Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University Law School, "Mediating the Litigated Case" Mediation Training (42 hours), 2007
- Edwards Mediation Academy, "Advanced Mediation Training" (40 hours), 2017
- Harvard Law School Program on Negotiation (PON), "Harvard Negotiation Master Class", May 2022
- Advanced Mediation Training - U.S. District Court, Central District of California and Association of Attorney-Mediators - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Online Dispute Resolution Training, Susan Guthrie, Learn to Mediate Online, 2019
- CIPP/US Designation - Certified Information Privacy Professional (IAPP), 2020
Memberships & Affiliations
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- American College of Coverage Counsel, Fellow and Founding Regent; Member, ADR and Cyber & Computer Crime Committees
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP); Women Leading Privacy
- American Bar Association; Women In Dispute Resolution
- Arbitral Women
- FDCC - Past President and Emeritus Member; As President, co-founded inaugural “National Summit on the Right to Trial by Jury”, Las Vegas, 2005 (now ABOTA’s 7th Amendment Summit)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- The CLM
- Loss Executives Association (LEA)
- Association of Attorney-Mediators
- Southern California Mediation Association
Fees are charged on a flat fee basis, based upon the time estimates agreed upon by the parties, the parties retaining my services exclusively for the time estimated. The flat fee is inclusive of all preparation time, pre-mediation calls with each counsel, session time up to the amount of time reserved, and reasonable telephonic follow-up time as needed. There are no set-up charges. Please contact me for my fee schedule.
BILLING - Unless other arrangements are made, mediation fees are divided equally between the law firms/parties, are due in full upon booking, and are non-refundable for time that is scheduled but only partially used. Counsel, not their clients, contract for the mediator’s services and are responsible for paying all fees. Fees may be paid by check or by credit card or ACH bank transfer via LawPay.
CANCELLATIONS/RESCHEDULING - Fees will be refunded less a cancellation charge of $350, if the mediation session is cancelled in writing 14 or more days prior to the scheduled session date. For written mediations cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled session date, if that date can be filled with another matter, fees will be refunded less a cancellation charge of $350; if not, there will be no refund. There is no charge to reschedule a mediation session although it is requested that any needed rescheduling be done as soon as possible once a conflict is known.